Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, February 17, 2006

Is it that hard?

Jason here again. Holly is busy growing a baby, so I have something to say. A good friend of mine Andy Bowman always said, “Under promise, over deliver.” This phrase means a lot to me. Why? This week I am experiencing someone’s over promising and under delivering.

Last Thursday, I asked a Contractor friend of mine if he would send some guys over to paint and place crown molding in Jake’s nursery. With enthusiasm he shouted, “Sure!” “Whatever you want Jason. I’ll send some guys over and you just tell them what you want and they will get it done.” “Great”, I respond. “In fact”, he says, “I will just charge you how much they charge me for their time.” “Even better”, I think to myself! He leaves and I start bragging to Holly about my connections and how much clout I carry in the contracting arena. She smiles and we move on to something else.

Tuesday morning, Painter #1 was supposed to arrive. I sat at the house all day. He never showed. All day, I call my Contractor trying to get an answer. Of course, his cell phone was dead. Painter #2 does arrive Wednesday afternoon and gets a considerable amount of work done considering he is by himself, only worked the afternoon and came ill prepared. His ill preparation places considerable strain on my pocket book as he makes multiple trips to the hardware store…or wherever he goes.

Painter #2 leaves Wednesday with one coat done. Painter #2 them comes back Thursday at 7:00am and works until 1:30 (when I kick him out because I have other things to do) with the trim still needing another coat and the crown molding yet to be installed. I make more calls to the contractor. Painter #2 and Crown Molder #1 arrive Friday morning without crown molding, a nail gun, caulk or a work ethic. But they do bring some cigarettes and few scary tattoos.

Friday at 3:00 pm the crown molding is up on one wall and the trim still needs another coat. We have baby shower guests in the morning eagerly anticipating the unveiling of our nursery.

Why do people over promise and under deliver? The Contractor said this could be done in one day; we are now finishing day three. As we speak, Crown Molder #1 is walking back and forth from the garage to the nursery trying to get the cut right to complete wall number 2. If my math is right with four walls, let’s see…it should take 8 cuts. We are quickly approaching 800 today so far. Hey, we are two walls down!

I am committed to not over promise and under deliver. If you can’t do a task, don’t tell someone you can. If you can’t stand by your word, then keep your mouth shut. People only want the truth. Excuse me now, I am going to call Contractor #2.

4 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh, this brings back painful memories of our experience hiring painters for the kitchen! Never before or since have I lost my cool with complete strangers like I did the last day they worked for us...right before I kicked them out of the house. Granted, I was very prego at the time, and you might know by this point how that goes:) Dang hormones. Speaking of which, do you know how to make a hormone? Maybe this isn't appropriate...oh well...don't pay her. I never remember jokes, of all the ones I've heard, that's the one....way to go. See you guys later today!

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Painter #2 stayed until 11:00 pm last night to get the nusery done. Not the way I planned to spend my Friday night. Not the way he planned to spend his either.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Shanta said...

We had the same experience with some moron from benji moore store in plano. They promised 2 days and it turned into 7. I was about to SCREAM! And what's with those random 4 hours breaks? Must be nice.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger DeLana Billingsley said...

Hey Jason... Just wait until you build a house. You will be amazed at how many hours are spent this way by painters, trim guys, cabinet boys, electricians, framers, the list goes on......
It is such joy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home