Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A LULLABY FOR JACOB

My heart and my spirit are at rest tonight. This day marks my 38th week of pregnancy, and I can hardly believe it is getting so close. It seems like just the other day I read the positive result of my pregnancy test, and the tidal wave of emotions began. I was crying and laughing at the same time. There were a slew of reasons, but the first reason is because I was astounded by God’s timing, and second I knew Jason was not going to believe me. My heart was beating so quickly as I fumbled to dial the phone number to Jason at work, but I could never reach him! I ran into our home office where I love to pray and fell to my knees, still crying, laughing, and praying to God thanking Him for this blessing. Like I’ve mentioned before, the 9 month season for a mother’s heart is so humbling. Just as I have watched the physical effects of my body changing, my heart and my spirit are so different 9 months later. What was once a prayer for peanut, evolved into a prayer for a young son, and I’m now urged to think of what to say to him when we finally meet.


What will I say to this tiny being the first time I hold his little cheek to my mouth and whisper to him softly? Will he know my voice? Will he respond to me? Can I soothe him from his unfamiliar surroundings?


It’s very emotional to think of what I want him to hear from me first, but a friend of mine helped confirm this the other day. We were visiting after church a few weeks ago and she said that I should sing the name Jesus. Tears began filling the eyes of my friend, a mother of three sons, as she remembered the first times she held and spoke to her own for the very first time. By now I was crying and envisioning that moment for Jacob and me.


So, in the midst of all of this preparation and nesting I’ve been trying to think of the best way to sing to our little Jacob. His mind is so precious and vulnerable and I long for him to be instilled with the truth and love of Jesus Christ. A melody can be very sweet, but the words behind it can mean so much more. I’m not much of a song writer, but I think Twila Paris knew how this song should speak right to the heart of a child. It’s simple, sweet, and communicates what I long to hear Jacob utter some wonderful day. It’s going to be his lullaby.


My Best Friend: Words and Music by Twila Paris

Jesus is my best friend
I can always go to Him
Tell Him everything I’m dreaming of
My friend Jesus whom I love
Jesus is my best friend
He’ll go with me ‘til the end
Watching over me from up above
My friend Jesus whom I love
My friend Jesus whom I love

8 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sweet Holly and you're right, it'll be such a sweet, powerful, spiritual moment when your eyes meet for the first time. The moment I saw Natalie, I was instantly humbled and overpowered by the presence of God, I would have fallen to my knees if I could have. It was such a surprising moment for me, I sobbed. Her countenance was as if she had just physically left the presence of God, and now I was looking at her and holding her...I thought the last face she looked at was her Creator's, and now I'm the one she sees. I so did not want her to be disappointed or scared, I wanted to do my best to comfort her and hold her like she had been held before. All of that emotion in the first few minutes of her life.

I am so excited for you and Jason and can't wait to hear your story of when you three first met:)

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Holly O'Quinn said...

Thanks Angie,
I totally agree with you. I've been praying that the Holy Spirit dwell within my womb, so it will be very powerful to meet this little guy for the first time. I can hardly wait.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger jaime s said...

Holly,

What a special day you have awaiting you. I close my eyes and relive the day Faith arrived all the time. O how I wish I could go back and actually do it all over again....words could never truly describe the joy of that day. I even feel a slight twinge of jealousy whenever I hear about someone being pregnant (especially if she is close to delivering). It is just the best feeling in the world and I know you will treasure up the blessings of that special day in your heart. We will be praying for you and Jason as the day nears. Can't wait to hear your thoughts...and see pictures!!

Jaime

P.S. One recommendation I would offer is this... type out your birth story as soon as you can. Murray began it at the hospital and I finished it once I was able to put sentences together. It's amazing how quickly all the little details slip away from your memory. Faith's birth story is nearly 3 pages long (single spaced...we went out of control with all the details) but I LOVE reading that document over and over and I especially look forward to the day when we can read it to her. Anyway, that is one thing I am SO THANKFUL we did right away and now have to pass along to her.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Holly O'Quinn said...

Hey Summer,
Thanks for dropping by. I'm excited to post pictures of our little guy. Hopefully you will be seeing some very soon!

Hey Jaime,
It's always good to hear from you. What wonderful advice about writing down Jacob's birth story right away. I don't want to forget a thing! Did you write it like it was a letter to Faith? Just curious how you did yours. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences on the blog about motherhood. My husband thinks I'm so sappy about these things, but he understands. Of course, this last month he's been crying every time he sees a little baby. I'm serious! He's sees a baby and the floodgates open wide! It's precious! Thanks for dropping by. More to come!

Blessings,
Holly

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger jaime s said...

We wrote it as a retelling (not really story format). We wrote in first person. I would be happy to email it to you if you would like to read it. Just send me an email at this address and I'll forward it to you jaimesanderson04@yahoo.com (This is the email I give out to businesses and such so it's not my "real" email address...it helps cut back on the spam).

Love catching up with you!

Jaime

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger DeLana Billingsley said...

Holly,
Words cannot even begin to tell you how you will feel as a mother the moment you meet your sweet, baby boy. It is such a strong bond that you have with your son before you even meet that is only strengthened when you get to hold him in your arms! Being a mom is such a great gift. I agree with your friend that said they get jealous when they see a pregnant person. I feel the same way. I don't want to have more children. I think we are done at 2 boys. But the thought of not ever being pregnant or getting to go through that delivery experience again makes me really sad. But, as long or short as these 38 weeks have felt, all I can say is ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY your last days as a pregnant woman. It is such a sweet experience and then of course, afterwards, your whole life will change.
Can't wait to see you, Jason and little Jacob!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Holly O'Quinn said...

Hey Jaime,
Thanks for sending me your e-mail. I would love to read about your experiences with Faith!

Delana,
I've heard you mention that before. I know you have always loved it when you were pregnant. I would have to say the time has certainly flown by for me, and I have been blessed with such an enjoyable pregnancy! I'm so excited to be able to share mommy stories with you. We are looking forward to seeing you all when you come to visit!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Holly O'Quinn said...

Hey Amy,
Thanks for commenting, that was sweet. I know Jacob is anxious to meet all of you. Hopefully sooner than later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home