Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 31, 2005

A Prayer For Peanut


In September Jason and I had the opportunity to take a trip to France. We took in all of the wonderful sights and sounds, and spent three days of our trip in Paris. While we were there we visited the Notre Dame Cathedral. We saw the beautiful stain glass windows, and the massive flying buttresses, however this trip was different than my prior two visits to the Cathedral. While we were walking along the outer aisle I noticed all of the beautiful candles glowing and the numerous prayers that these lit candles represent. So, I lit a candle for peanut and prayed to God that He would bless this life growing inside of me. It was a special moment for Jason and me. I’m amazed at how I have formed such a close spiritual bond with my baby before seeing he/she face to face. God is so precious in our prayer lives. He allows me the freedom to draw close to Him, and by praying for my child daily I already have this immense amount of love that I am brought to tears as I type my entry. Thanks be to God for stirring me and pulling my heartstrings to already be on my knees for this life. It’s a sweet sweet time. It also makes me anxious and excited. I’m constantly dreaming and thinking about the day I give birth and wonder what every little inch of this body is going to look like, and what sounds will it make. While I am anxious I also see the purpose of these nine months. Not only has God taught me a lot about myself in these last four months, but I can only assume there will be more hard lessons to come in the proceeding five. God is cool like that. He develops the life that grows within me, and develops my heart for motherhood. Here is a prayer from a great book that I’m reading. I recommend it to any expecting mother. Its entitled, Prayers for Expectant Mothers, by Angela Thomas Guffey.


In the Womb

MY LORD AND REDEEMER,
Inside me is a sanctuary where You abide. Inside my womb You fashion our child and define every feature. The thought of Your work is more than I can comprehend, and yet, I delight in knowing that You are here. I have seen pictures of babies in the womb, and I am amazed at Your work. My child at each stage of development is such a marvel
I smile to learn that the first organ to function is the heart. Would a lesser designer have begun with the brain? And so, I ask for my baby, that its heart will be perfect. Four flawless chambers beating in perfect sync. From there I envision the rest of the body that has just begun: spinal cord, lungs, and brain. Oh Lord, our Creator, please complete each detail with precision and strength.
As the face and limbs begin to form, please grow sturdy bones and sound muscles. Make her eyes much stronger than mine. Give this dear little one ears that will hear for a lifetime. Give her a strong mind that will serve as an oasis for truth and wisdom. Lord, please oversee my baby’s growth. Give our child legs to run and arms to hug. Fashion hands that are skillful, yet loving, I TRUST YOU TO PROVIDE ALL THAT IS NEEDED.
Remember my baby until she’s complete. Keep her safe inside until her time is appointed. I have faith because you are the maker of all; You stretched out the heavens, and spread out the earth. Your presence gives me peace. I will wait patiently while You work.
Amen


This is what the Lord says-your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself.
Isaiah 44:24

10 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Brittyne Fitzgerald said...

I am so excited to leave the first comment on your blog. After almost 6 sleepless nights in row due to two sick baby girls, all I can say is...sleep now while you can! On a serious note Holly, the Lord will honor your prayers for your little one. Keep praying them and we will pray for you also! Rob says Hi. Bailey says "uh-oh" (her favorite phrase) and Abigail just squeals at you!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger mt said...

Holly! What a great post, and congratulations on starting a blog. I look forward to keeping up with you through your posts! Tell Jason I said hi.
Matt

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Sweetheart, You make me feel proud to be your mom. I'll be anxious to read more of your future writings. You, Jason, and Peanut are in my prayers daily.
Lovingly, MOM

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Holly O'Quinn said...

Hey Brittyne!
I've been keeping up with you through your blog, and read how things were going the other day. What a story you will tell those girls some day. I am beginning to grasp just how precious sleep is. I'm being warned by every woman I meet! Great to hear from you.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

I am excited to get to share in this journey with you. Pat that little peanut for me!
Love,
Jenny

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Holly O'Quinn said...

Hey Jenny,
Great to hear from you! Your boys are really growing up. Let me know if you will be in town for the holidays, and maybe we can get together!

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holly,
Your comments remind me of the miracle of life. I find your expressions of anticipation comforting in that each of us were formed by God and now with wonder and awe we are preparing to receive another sweet soul. Jason, I wanted to let you know my future son-in-law connected with you. I suspect your friendship will be important to him.
Blessings to both of you & peanut!
Janice

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Wollser! I'm glad you have a blog! You've got to post more often though so I can stalk you with better efficiency!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Kristen OQ said...

I randomly got to your blog through Brett Perkins -- I was curious since your last name is O'Quinn and you live in Dallas (my last name is O'Quinn and we live in Dallas too). And we had a baby this past April 2005.

Congratulations on your pregnancy...

I bet our husbands are related somewhere down the line!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Shanta said...

Holly!! Congrats to you guys on your pregnancy- how awesome is that? That was a truly sweet prayer, thanks for sharing that. (I don't read a lot of pregnancy books just yet) Give our best to Jason and have a wonderful RESTFUL weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home